DIY Repurposed Denim Roses
One of my favourite ways to decorate my home is with flowers, real and faux. I’m also a huge fan of repurposing my old jeans for the home. I managed to combine both passions with these upcycled denim flowers.
Real flowers are gorgeous and can’t be beaten, but I only get them a couple of times a year. I’m lucky if they last a week or two. Whereas, all the faux flowers I make are everlasting.
I have thought about making denim flowers for a while but just didn’t get around to it. Then when I did have ago I tried out various methods and decided that the best flowers to make out of old jeans where denim roses.
These denim roses are actually made in a very similar way to my map roses but using old jeans instead of old road maps.
Making denim roses was really enjoyable. So much so and ended up making enough for a denim bouquet. Old jeans in different shades of indigo where repurposed to make my denim rose bouquet look more interesting.
I made so many denim roses that I even had some leftover to turn into lovely napkin holders.
These denim flowers look great in a gin bottle vase. Well, that was the excuse I used for finishing off the gin.
I had a really pleasant evening making repurposed denim roses whilst sipping gin and tonics.
Be warned too many gins whilst using a hot glue gun is not always the best idea!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need To Make A Denim Flowers Bouquet
- Scraps of denim from old jeans in various shades of indigo
- Hot glue gun
- White craft glue
- Large wooden skewers
- Garden wire (for napkin holders)
- Petal template
- Scissors and pen
How To Make Denim Roses
1. The first thing to do is to download the rose petal template and print it out. Or if you are confident enough draw your own petal shapes. You will need petals in 3 different sizes.
2. Next, place the small petal template onto a scrap piece of denim and draw around it and cut out the shape. Repeat with the other petal sizes.
I used 6 small petals, 5 medium petals and 5 large petals for each rose. If you want a bigger rose you can just add more petals.
3. Next, cut out 2 leaf shapes for each rose. I like to use a slightly different shade of denim to the petals for the leaves so they stand out more.
4. Before putting the denim flowers together, prepare a stem. Do this by cutting a long thin strip of denim about 1-2cm wide and about 30cm long.
Then using glue stick one end of the denim strip to the tip of the wooden skewer. Wrap the rest of the denim around the whole skewer securing it in places with glue as you go.
5. Next, glue the denim petals to the stem with the hot glue gun. Start off with one small petal and wrap it around the tip of the denim step. Then glue the other 5 small petals around the stem.
Next, glue the 5 medium petals around the stem. Make sure they are evenly spaced and overlap the gaps between the small petals. Repeat the process with the 5 large petals.
Finally, glue the two denim leaves to the base of the roses.
Tips For Making Denim Flowers
The denim roses I made were soft and a little floppy as I upcycled denim from well-worn jeans. However, if you would like a stiffer denim flower I suggest that you cover each petal with fabric glue beforehand. Once the fabric glue has dried the petals will become stiffer.
Create roses of 2 different colours using the same pair of jeans. The colour will depend on which way round you glue the petals. For darker roses glue the petals on the wrong side of the denim and for lighter denim flowers glue the petals the other way around.
Making A Denim Rose Napkin Ring
To make a denim napkin ring instead of using a wooden skewer for the stem of the denim flower use some thick garden wire.
Once the denim rose is made then twist the wire into a loop to hold a rolled-up napkin.
Making a Denim Flower Bouquet
If you make the denim flowers from scraps from different pairs of jeans you can make a lovely denim bouquet. With the long wooden stems, it is easy to display the denim flower bouquet in a mason jar or gin bottle vase.
I warn you that making these denim roses is an addictive craft. I spent one Saturday evening making a load of the denim flowers whilst drinking gin and tonic so I had some lovely gin bottle vases for them.
- Denim Scraps
- Petal Template
- Wooden skewers for the bouquet
- Garden wire for napkin rings
- hot glue gun
- 1. Cut out the petal template
- Use the template to cut petals in 3 different sizes, 6 small, 5 medium and 5 large.
- Cut out 2 leaves in denim of a different shade.
- Cut a strip of denim 1-2cm by 30cm wrap around the wooden skewer and use glue to hold it in place.
- Starting with the small petals glue them one by one to the top of the skewer.
- Once all the petals are glued to the stem then glue the 2 leaves to the base.
To make the denim flower napkin ring use garden wire for the stem rather than a wooden skewer. That way the stem can be bent around.
If you liked these upcycled denim flowers then you will probably like some of my other scrap no-sew denim projects.
- Denim Feather Wall Decoration
- A Denim Hanging Mason Jar Vase
- Simple Gorgeous Rustic Stars
- Delightful Denim hearts 2 ways
- Repurposed Denim Christmas Decorations
For more green crafting ideas visit favecrafts.com