Upcycle a pair of jeans and copper piping into a stylish magazine rack
Copper is on trend at the moment and I love upcycling old jeans. I used both these materials to make a magazine rack. Being a bit of a magazine junkie, this rack is a really stylish way to store my magazines.
I already have a stash of old jeans for upcycling projects and my friendly local builder gave me some copper piping scraps. I bought any extra bits of copper piping need from the diy store.
This post contains amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What you need
22mm copper piping (about 2.5m)
8 copper piping female 90 degree elbow conectors
1 Pair of old jeans – straight or boot cut (not skinny)
Epoxy glue like Araldite
Sewing machine or needle and thread
Lacquer (if you don’t want the copper to tarnish).
How to construct the Magazine rack frame
1. Cut the copper piping into 8 lengths 2x 25cm, 4x 30cm & 2x40cm. You can use a pipe slicer or hacksaw to cut your pipe.
2. Make 2X U shapes out of the pipe with the 25cm at the bottom joined with 2 elbows to 2x 30cm lengths.
3. To secure the joins put glue inside the elbow joins before joining to the pipes. (If you have the equipment you can solder these joints if you prefer)
4. Attach the 4 remaining elbow joints to the top of your U’s perpendicular to the elbow joints at the bottom.
5. The Magazine rack is finished of by attaching the 2 U’s with the longer 40cm copper pipe. However don’t do this until you have made your denim sling as the pipe needs to be threaded through this.
How to make a the Denim Sling
1. Carefully cut the waistband off the jeans, then cut both legs off at the top.
2. Unpick the outer seam of each leg. You should now have two large pieces of denim, trim these until they are approximately 68cm X 38 cm (give or take a couple of centimeters is ok).
3. Pin these 2 large pieces right sides together. Sew down the long edge leaving a 1cm seam edge.
4. This is your sling, which is now a tube, one end should have a nice seam from the hem of the jeans. The other end will be where you cut the jeans. Neaten this up by tucking over the rough edge and sewing a seam of approx 1cm while keeping the tube open.
5. To make the loops at the top of the sling, cut six strips approximately 16cm in length from the waist band.
6. Fold 3 of these waistband strips in half to form a loop. Pin together the top of the denim tube sandwiching the loops in between. One at each end and one in the middle. Sew the top of the tube together with these sandwiched loops. Note your sewing machine may struggle with the extra thickness when sewing over the loops, you can just do these by hand if necessary.
7. Repeat step 6 with the bottom of the denim tube.
8. Your sling is now ready.
Finishing your magazine rack
Thread your denim sling through the top copper piping lengths and then glue to the elbow joints of each U. Your stylish magazine rack is now complete and ready to go. I used 22mm copper piping but you can use bigger or smaller piping depending on your taste or what scraps you get from your plumber as long as all the bits used are the same diameter. The copper pipe will tarnish over time if you don’t want this to happen you can lacquer your frame.
You don’t have to use an old pair of jeans to make your sling, you can use any strong fabric you like. To be really on trend you could print your own canvas fabric with cactus and use that to make the magazine rack sling.