These DIY napkin rings are really simple to make. Cost-effective too, as they are made from upcycled material and scraps. They also add a bit of glamour and colour to the diner table.
Last year I made some fun upcycled wooden Christmas ornaments from old curtain fixings and I still had some rings left over. It didn’t take long for me to realize that they would make perfect napkin ring holders.
On their own, the rings were basic and bland. I wanted my napkin rings to add some colour and bling to the table. So I upcycled them with some velvet.
(There is a printable how-to card for this craft at the end of the post.)
I love it when the diner table is dressed up for special occasions, it adds to that festive feel. This time of the year, there are so many opportunities to have a fancy dinner table setting. Not just for the big day itself, Christmas day, but New Year, Burns Night and Chinese New Year too. They all fall within 2 months.
I have Scottish blood, so both New Year and Burns Night are important celebrations for me. Also, I was born and brought up in Hong Kong, so I like to celebrate Chinese New Year too. These DIY napkin rings are suitable for any special dinner occasion, whatever holidays you celebrate.
After a rummage through my craft stash, I found a lot of colourful velvet ribbons. Some bits left over from previous crafts, such as my velvet planters. Other bits of velvet ribbon was collected from gifts.
Whenever I receive a gift wrapped in ribbon, I keep the ribbon aside for crafting or to re-use with gift wrapping. I used these bits of ribbon to jazz up plain curtain rings into fun party napkin rings.
I love rainbow DIYs and decorations so I opted to make a rainbow of handmade napkin rings.
We’re a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need
- Wooden curtain rings – The rings I used were about 5cm (2″) in diameter
- Wooden curtain rings – The rings I used were about 5cm (2″) in diameter.
- Colourful velvet ribbon approximately 2 cm wide. You will only need lengths 8-10cm long for each napkin ring.
- Glitter velvet ribbon 1cm wide for the bow tops. You will need lengths about 35cm long for each napkin ring.
- Superglue gel
How To Make Luxury DIY Napkin Rings
Step 1: If the curtain rings have eyelet screws in them, remove them. This can be done by simply unscrewing them. Then, cut a 30cm length of glitter ribbon. Glue one end of this ribbon to the wooden curtain ring.
Step 2: Next, wrap the glitter ribbon around the curtain ring. Make sure that the ribbon overlaps so that none of the curtain rings is visible. Pull tight as you wrap and secure the end of the ribbon with a dab of superglue. You might need to secure the end of the ribbon with a pin until the glue dries.
Making The Velvet Bow
Step 4: Next, make a matching mini velvet bow for the top of the napkin ring. Start by cutting the wide velvet ribbon into a piece about 8-10cm (3″-4″) long. Cut a piece of glitter ribbon about 3cm long. Fold over the ends of the wide ribbon into the middle and glue them together.
Step 5: Next, wrap the short glitter ribbon tightly around the wider ribbon. Secure it in place with a dab of glue. You want to make sure the ribbon is wrapped tight enough so that the larger velvet ribbon is pinched a little in the middle.
Step 6: Finish off the DIY napkin rings by glueing the velvet ribbon to the top of the wrapped ring.
As I mentioned in the introduction, I love rainbows. I made six of these velvet napkin ring holders, each one in a different colour of the rainbow.
The rings are the perfect size to hold a linen napkin.
I’m a sucker for fancy colourful dinner plates and these luxury napkin rings look great on those plates, especially when I match the colour of the plate to the colour of the napkin ring.
- Wooden curtain rings
- Velvet ribbon scraps 2cm wide
- Velvet glitter ribbon 1cm wide in various colours
- Superglue gel
- Remove the eyelets from the wooden curtain rings, by simply unscrewing them.
- Cut a 30cm length of glitter ribbon. Glue one end of the ribbon to the wooden curtain ring.
- Wrap the ribbon all the way around the ring. Make sure that it overlaps so that none of the wood is visible.
- Secure the end of the glitter ribbon to the ring with a dot of glue.
- Next, make a small velvet bow. First, cut an 8cm length of the wide velvet ribbon. Fold the ends into the middle and secure with glue. Then glue a 3cm length of glitter ribbon around the centre.
- Finish off by glueing the mini velvet bow to the top of the napkin ring.
- Repeat the steps above with different coloured ribbons, until you have a rainbow of DIY napkin rings.