Fun & Unique Luggage Tag Burlap Map Pillows (Hessian)
I love maps, traveling and fun crafts that are personal in some way. I decided to put all this together and make these unique luggage tag burlap pillows using map fabric and burlap (hessian).
These map pillows have a real vintage vibe. The luggage tags shape give the impression they are definitely from a different era.
*My English family and friends give me a blank look whenever I say burlap as they call it hessian. As I follow so many American bloggers and crafters burlap is what I’m used to, plus I prefer the word to hessian.
Also, further apologies to my English family and friends but I’m using the word pillow rather than cushion.
Actually, the real reason I made these pillows, is that I had some lovely map fabric left over from lining my vintage map suitcase. However, I didn’t have enough scrap fabric to make a whole pillow. That’s when I came up with the idea of combining it with burlap and making my luggage tag map pillows.
How these map burlap pillows are personalized, is by filling out the luggage tag details. I made one of these as a Christmas gift for my sister-in-law. I personalized the pillow with her name and as my husband’s family is from Norway, I’ve put Bergen as the destination.
The other map pillow is for me, so it has my name and Hong Kong as the destination. Hong Kong is my favorite city, as I was born and raised there. My family lived in Hong Kong for 30years.
This post contains amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What You Need to Make Burlap Map Pillows
Map fabric– I used no more than a fat quarter for both pillows.
- Burlap – I used about 1/2 yard of a fine weave burlap.
- Large metal curtain grommets/eyelets
- Letter Stencil Sets
- Black Sharpie
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Large piece of scrap paper
- Needle and thread
- Sewing Machine – optional can be sewn by hand.
- Scrap piece of rope
How to Make Your Luggage tag Map Pillows
- Firstly you will need to make a template for your pillow. You can make this any size you want, simply draw out a luggage label shape on your scrap paper (or even newspaper) and cut it out. This will be the size and shape of your pillow.
- Using the template and your rotary cutter cut out the burlap for the tag side.
- For the other side of the pillow you will cut 2 pieces of fabric. One will be the map fabric and the other piece burlap. Then sew these together to form the map side of the pillow.
- Before sewing the sides of your pillow together, you will want to personalize the luggage label. You can do this, by writing on the burlap side with a sharpie and a letter stencil.
- When you have finished stenciling, then stitch your pillow right sides together. Remember to leave a small gap for stuffing. Then turn your pillow right side out.
- Now comes the slightly tricky part, inserting the curtain grommet. If you know someone with a grommet machine or have a friendly local sewing shop that will do this bit for you that’s brilliant. If not then you can try fixing the grommet yourself, like I did by using a combination of pliers and a hammer.
Place the grommet where you would like your luggage tag hole on the cushion. Mark the spot and cut the fabric to make a hole.
The grommet comes in 2 pieces, one for each side. With the help of a hammer and pliers, you should be able to fix the 2 parts together. That is why used metal grommets as they are more malleable. If you are not sure about this part then you can just make a hole and sew round it without the grommet.
- Now all that is left to do, is to stuff your pillow with fiberfill and stitch up the hole. You can tie some old rope through the hole to complete the luggage tag look.
Fitting the Grommet/Eyelet
If you liked this post then you will probably like some of my other personalized map crafts:
Easy Map Table Mats With City Maps
How to Make Personalised Map Chairs
Personalized Treat Map Heart
Ikea Lamp Hack Map Lampshade