A Colourful Thistle Decoration For Your Mantle
At the bottom of my road is a gorgeous park and river. Most mornings I walk our old dog Toby across the park and along the embankment. The riverbank is lined by thistle plants which are all dry now. I’ve picked a few of these to make a lovely thistle decoration for my mantle.
My mother is Scottish, and growing up we had haggis every Burns night. Which is no mean feat living in Hong
Back to the thistle decoration, I think it has a retro feel to it. As a
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What You Need To Make A Thistle Decoration
- Thistles – Thistles grow wild, I picked about 8 from the riverbank.
- Secateurs & gardening gloves – Thistles are very thorny, you will want to protect your hands.
- Wood dowel approx 3cm in diameter and at least 70cm in length
- Walnut wood stain
- Spray paints in lots of different
- Drill with a wood drill bit as wide as the thistle stem.
How To Make A Thistle Decoration
1.Using gloves and secateurs pick your dry thistles. Next, spray paint them the
2. Next, saw the wooden dowel into blocks about 5-6 cm (2″) in height. You will need one for every painted thistle. I had seven blocks in total.
3. Mark the center of the top of each piece of wood and drill a hole in the top. The hole needs to be wide enough to fit the thistle stem and about 2cm’s deep.
4. Next, sand and smooth each of the wooden blocks. I wanted a darker wood look, so I also stained each block with a walnut wood stain.
5. Finally, cut down the thistle stems to about 2 cm long. Place one thistle decoration in each wooden block.
I have put my rainbow thistle decoration on the mantle. It certainly looks bright
Not only does my family celebrate Burns Night, but having been born and brought up in Hong Kong we also celebrate Chinese New Year. Which is the next event after Burns night on the family calendar on the 5th February this year. I’ll see if I can come up with some Chinese New Year decor ideas too!
If like me you love colourful decor you may want to check out these rainbow posts.
For more rainbow crafts check out favecrafts.com