If you have ever been into a Scandinavian home you will probably have noticed woven hearts decorations. (Sometimes called pleated hearts). These lovely Scandi hearts aren’t just for Valentine’s but Christmas too and all year round.
Ever since spotting the gorgeous woven hearts whilst visiting relatives in Norway, I’ve been wanting to make my own.
My mantle has been looking a bit bare since all the Christmas decorations have been taken down. I thought I’d cheer it up by making my own woven hearts garland to hang on it.
These woven hearts garlands cost almost nothing to make. You just need a few scraps of denim and old felted sweaters to make the Scandi hearts.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What You Need To Make A Scandi Woven Hearts Garland
- Paper template – Available to download here
- Denim scraps from old jeans
- One long seam from the inside legs of a pair of jeans
- Felted wool scraps from old sweaters or craft felt
- Pen, iron, scissors
andglue (or needle and thread).
How To Make A Woven Hearts Garland
- Cut out the paper template and fold it in half lengthways. Cut the slits where marked.
2. First, fold the scrap piece of denim you are going to use in half and iron in a sharp crease. Place the folded paper template on top of the denim.
Lining up the fold in the paper with the fold in the denim. Draw around the template with a pen.
3. Next, cut out this shape and cut in the slits.
If you don’t want the denim cut edges to fray, spread a little fabric glue around the edges as this will stop it from happening.
4. Then, repeat the last 2 steps, this time with the felted fabric.
Felt does not fray so no need to glue the edges.
5. For the next step, you need to weave the two heart halves together (like the picture below). This is a little fiddly, but fortunately, the fabric is flexible and won’t tear.
6. Finally, to finish off the heart I stitched the open round top sides together. Carry on making woven hearts until you have enough for a garland.
If you don’t want to sew you can always just use fabric glue instead.
7. Finally, layout the Scandi hearts in the order you want the colours to appear. Then glue or stitch them to a long denim seam. If you don’t have one you can always just use twine for this part.
All that is left to do, is to decide where to hang your Scandinavian heart garland.
I like to hang mine on the door to my bedroom. I might just put it on the mantle for Valentine’s week. It’s my birthday on Valentine’s day so I like to put some decorations up!
There is a tutorial for making the paper version of these woven hearts in this collection of DIY Scandinavian decorations. The paper ones can be opened up to form little hanging baskets for the Christmas tree.
As well as making denim hearts, I also make patchwork denim stars.
If you liked this post you might want to check out some of my other scrap denim and sweater wool posts.
- Delightful Denim Hearts 2 Ways
- How To Make Tassels From Denim
- Recycled Sweaters Heart Decoration
- Sweater Felt Tassels
If you are looking for more stitched heart projects visit allfreesewing.com