Giant Christmas Felt Letters
Some words are just for Christmas, my favourite ones are “Ho Ho Ho”, “Fa La La” and “Jingle”. Especially Fa La La which comes from the Christmas carol ‘Deck the Halls’. As soon as I hear and see these words I imagine a dreamy, nostalgic & whimsical Christmas, the sort of one we’d all love to have.
This year I thought that it would be great to add a FA LA LA to my HO HO HO felt letters, that I made a couple of years ago. These are ridiculously easy to make, and as they are hand sewn, they are one of those lovely crafts you can do in the evening in front of the telly.
What you need to make Christmas Felt Letters
- Letter template: You can download my template for the letters H,O,F & A here: Felt letters , or you can draw your own.
- Felt in your chosen colours; I used green & cream for my FA LA LA and red and cream for my HO HO HO. You should get at least 2 letters if not more out of a fat quarter (it depends on the letters).
- Embroidery thread or crewel wool in contrasting colours.
- Fiber stuffing, I use old pillows for this like I did with my Mountain Cushions.
- Large embroidery needle , pins & scissors.
How to make your Christmas Felt Letters
- Using my template I cut out my letters you will need 2 for each letter, one for the back and one for the front. For the FA LA LA, I had 12 cut pieces of felt; 6 A’s, 4 L’s and 2 F’s.
- Pin your letters together.
- Using a blanket stitch, sew round each letter leaving a small gap for stuffing
- Stuff firmly with your fiber stuffing and then sew up the hole with a blanket stitch.
* Don’t throw out your felt off cuts no matter how small as you can make felt garlands and decorations with this, which I will demonstrate with my next blog post.
When finished your letters are ready to sit on your mantle piece or hang like bunting. As well as making a great Christmas decoration , I have made some in a person’s initial and given them as a monogramed gift.
You might like some of my other Christmas posts:
Paper Envelope Advent Calendar
Christmas Elf on the Shelf
Upcycled festive felt garland