Using Paper Napkin Decoupage to Make a Marimekko Bench
How do you transform a grotty old garden bench? How about some cool decoupage with designer paper napkins and transform it into a Marimekko bench.
I am a huge Marimekko fan, I just love their fabrics and Scandi/Nordic style. For those of you who don’t know Marimekko is a Finnish home furnishings and textile company.
I wanted some of that Marimekko style in my garden. Therefore, instead of just painting a neglected bench in my garden that was in dire need of cosmetic attention, I decided to Marimekko it!
I got the idea from some Marimekko shoes I’d made a few months ago. I still had some *Unikko napkins left over from the shoe revamp, so I decided to use these to upcycle and pimp my bench.
(*Unikko is probably Marimekko’s most iconic print it was actually first designed in the 1950’s, very mid-century modern)
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What you need to make a Marimekko Bench
- Old wooden bench
- White wood paint
- Paint and glue brushes
- Marimekko Napkins – I used Unikko blue ones, 1 packet was enough for my bench
- PVA Glue / Mod Podge – or other white glue suitable for use with paper
- Crystal clear yacht (or outdoor) varnish
How to Decoupage a Marimekko a bench.
- First thing I did was to prepare the bench by sanding it and then giving it a coat of white paint. One coat of white paint will be enough as this is not the finished look.
- Next I prepared my Marimekko napkins by separating them so that only the top printed ply was used (most napkins are 3 ply). Then I tore flowers out. It helps if you wet the napkin where you tear. It is better to tear rather than cut the napkins as you get a feathered edge which blends in better.
- When I had cut out all my napkin flowers I then spread the glue on the bench and placed the napkin flowers on top. The napkins are too delicate to apply the glue directly to. I gently brushed out the napkins as you lay them on the bench.
- I carried on until the whole bench was covered in Marimekko Unikko flowers. Once it was dry I applied two coats of crystal clear outdoor/yacht varnish. This varnish should protect the decoupaged Marimekko bench from the elements.
I told you it was easy, and I now have a bench to match my shoes!
If you’re not a huge Marimekko fan, you can of course use this method to upcycle a bench with the napkins of your choice.
Here are a few more of my Marimekko posts you may want to check out.
DIY Marimekko Shoes
Marimekko Stair Transformation
12 Marimekko Crafts
Giant Paper Mache Cactus