Every year I like to make my own Christmas gift tags, especially for my crafty pals who appreciate them.
In fact, my friend Wendy has kept all the tags I’ve made her over the years and hangs them on the tree.
If you have been following my blog you will know that I have a thing about repurposing my old jeans, and have even compiled a comprehensive list of an A to Z of denim crafts.
Homemade Monogram Denim gift tag
I even have a collection of denim crafts for Christmas. These monogram denim gift tags would be great for this holiday or to use with birthday gifts.
The monogrammed letter on the denim makes them a gift in themselves and the personalized tags could be used as a bookmark afterward.
I made one of these personalized gift tags for my son, and he has attached it to his school bag as an identifier. They would also make great keyrings.
We’re a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What you need to make Denim gift tags
- Scraps of denim from old jeans, shirts, etc. I find that the softer more worn pieces of denim are good for this project.
- Scissors, pins, needle, and thread
- Existing tag or luggage label to use as a template
- White fabric paint
- Letter stencil
- Eyelet tool and eyelets
How to Make a Monogrammed Denim Gift Tag
1.. First, using an old luggage label as a template, cut 2 pieces of denim for each tag allowing for a 5mm seam. I used denim in 2 different shades for each tag, one light, and one dark.
2. Next, iron the 5mm seams down. If you snip the corners, you will find this easier. Then, pin the two pieces of denim wrong sides together.
Top tip: If you don’t want to sew the denim pieces together, you could glue them wrong sides together and this stage. (But they won’t look as good as the stitched denim tags).
3. Next, sew the two tag sides together using a sewing machine. It’s possible to do this by hand, but it is much quicker and easier on a machine.
If you use a thread in a contrasting color you can add something more to the tags. As my tags were for Christmas, I used a red thread for a more festive look.
4. Next, to complete the tag look, use your eyelet tool to punch a hole in the tapered end of the tag. Then, place an eyelet rivet in your tag.
5. Finally to personalize your gift tag, paint the recipient’s initials onto the tag. I find that white acrylic paint and a stencil works well, like with my denim storage boxes.
All you need now is a bit of ribbon and your unique denim gift tag is finished. For a festive Christmas look, I used a red velvet ribbon on my tags.
To change them into a keyring just add a keychain in the hole instead of a ribbon.
You might want to check out my DIY postage stamp tags and my denim pocket organizer.
Another great use for denim scraps is to make denim feathers which would also make fabulous gift toppers.
For more upcycled holiday gift ideas visit allfreeholidays.
15 Best Gift Wrapping and Tag Ideas to Try this Holiday Season! – Life As Parent
Tuesday 24th of November 2020
[…] Check it here. […]
12 Handmade gift tags to make this Christmas - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
Friday 22nd of November 2019
[…] Upcylced Denim Gift Tags by Pillar Box Blue […]
31 Homemade Cards and Tags No Gift Should Be Without – DIY Crafted
Tuesday 13th of February 2018
[…] pillarboxblue […]
Colourful Felt Monogram Gift Tags - Pillar Box Blue
Tuesday 13th of December 2016
[…] present which she keeps and hangs up on her Christmas tree. Last year I made Wendy a upcycled monogram denim gift tag, this year I carried on with the monogram theme but this time in felt. […]
Denim Christmas Decorations - Favourite 5 - Pillar Box Blue
Wednesday 16th of November 2016
[…] know I said 5, but I’ve snuck in an extra one. My monogrammed denim gift tags. You may argue that they are a gift tag and not strictly a decoration. However I will be hanging my […]