Denim DIY Storage Box an Ikea Pingla Hack
Every day I pick up “bits and bobs” around the house and I am never sure where to put them. Therefore I decided to make a fun DIY storage box for this random stuff with no home, using old jeans and a cardboard box.
I actually covered two boxes in denim. I named one DIY storage box “BITS” and the other “BOBS”. This was an Ikea hack, as I used two Ikea Pingla boxes for this project.
I could’ve used any old cardboard box but the Ikea ones were the exact size I wanted (not too deep). Also, they come in a pack of two which was perfect, as it ensured I had two matching storage boxes.
I got the idea from some fabric wrapped storage boxes I’d seen on Pinterest. However, I wanted to add more to my DIY storage box by lining it (like with my vintage map suitcase) and adding a fun stencil.
This is such a cheap and easy way to get some fun, handy stylish storage for your “Bits and Bobs”. It was actually featured as one of the top 100 Easy DIY Projects of 2018 on DIYIdeacenter.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What you need to make a Denim DIY storage box
- Ikea Pingla Storage Box – You can use other cardboard boxes of a similar size.
- Pair of adult jeans
- Repositionable Spray Mount Adhesive
- Fabric for lining – You can use a nice craft fabric, an old shirt or even burlap. I used a yellow patterned craft fabric.
- Bulldog clips or clothes pegs.
- Needle and thread.
- Letter Stencils
- White Acrylic Paint
- Small paint brush
How to Make A Denim DIY Storage Box
1. Firstly if using an Ikea Pingla box, then make it according to the instructions on the base. (Don’t bother making the lid you will need this later)
2. Measure the circumference of the box and the height. Then cut the legs of your jeans to fit. I cut along the seam line of the jeans. This will give you a nice edge on the base of the DIY storage box. You want the width of your jeans to be at least an inch more than the height of the box. One jeans leg will not be long enough to wrap around the box so you will have to sew two together.3. To make two denim handles for your DIY storage box, cut the waistband off the jeans and cut 2 pieces about 15cm (6 inches) in length. Wrap the jeans leg round the box (don’t glue at this stage but use clips to hold in place) and mark where the handles will go
4. Now you can fix the denim to the cardboard box. Spray the cardboard box with the adhesive, and wrap the jeans around the box as you go. Makes sure that the seam of the leg is flush with the bottom. Use bulldog clips or clothes pegs to hold it in place as the glue dries. Trim the overlap inside.
How to line your DIY storage
1. First, I cut my lining fabric to the circumference and height of my box. Allowing for a seam allowance and some overlap. You may need to sew two pieces of fabric together to get one long enough.
2. Fold over the top edge of the fabric to make a small hem, and iron it flat. Attach the fabric to the inside of the box using the spray adhesive.
3. Cut the cardboard meant for the lid so that it fits just inside the base of the box. Again using the spray adhesive cover one side of the cardboard with your lining fabric and place it inside the box.
Stenciling the denim DIY storage boxes
I love to add personality to my crafts and upcycles and one of the ways I do this is by stenciling words onto them. Like I did with my denim DIY draught excluders.
As these boxes were for my “Bits and Bobs”, I stenciled BITS on one side and BOBs on the other. You can, of course, stencil what you like you may want to put “STUFF” or “THINGS” on the side of the box.
I just used individual letter stencils and white acrylic paint to stencil my words onto the box. I used a small brush with a dabbing motion.
- Old Pair of Jeans
- Cardboard box (such as IKEA Pingla)
- Letter Stencil
- White Paint
- Fabric for inside
- Spray adhesive
- Cardboard for the base of box
- Clothes pegs or bulldog clips
- Measure the sides of the boxes and cut the legs of a pair of jeans to fit with a seam allowance
- Make 2 handles out of a denim waistband and attach to the cut denim with a grommet tool.
- Using spray adhesive fix the cut jeans leg to the out side of the box.
- Measure the inside and cut lining fabric.
- Use spray adhesive to stick lining fabric. Hold in place with clips while the glue dries.
- Cover a cardboard base with lining fabric and place in the bottom of the box.
- Stencil the words "Bits & Bobs" to the outside of the boxes.