DIY Splashback (backsplash) with wallpaper
My friend had a new kitchen recently installed and didn’t want the usual tiled splashback for her cooker. She wanted something that was going to be a bit of a statement piece. Therefore when Wendy come across some gorgeous Dragonfly wallpaper by Harlequin, she knew that was the one for her kitchen. A DIY splashback (backsplash) with wallpaper was the way to go.
The wallpaper is protected with a piece of glass and is screwed to the wall. Plus you know what the really awesome thing about this DIY splashback, is that it’s really easy to unscrew the glass and change the wallpaper when you feel like something different.
This post contains amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What you need to create your own DIY Splashback with wallpaper
– you might want to add an anti fungal agent to the adhesive
How to make your DIY Splashback
- Measure out your splashback and get the plywood and glass cut to the size at the DIY store.
- Think about how your wallpaper pattern design will fit on the splashback, measure it and cut to size. For the dragonfly design, we wanted whole dragonflies in the middle of the splashback. Therefore we ended up with one wallpaper roll width in the middle and two part widths either side.
- Key your plywood by coating it with a layer of wallpaper paste and leaving it to dry.
- Once dry, paste the board again and apply the wallpaper. Leave to dry thoroughly.
- We used a low iron toughened glass for this splashback because if it’s not low iron the glass can have a green hue to it. The DIY Splashback and the glass were fitted to the wall altogether. With the mirror screws going through the glass and splashback into the wall. The screws were capped off with chrome mirror screw domes.
- Finally when it’s all in place you can fit the tile trim round the edge of your DIY splashback.
Wendy loved her DIY splashback idea so much that not only did she make one for her cooker, but one for the bathroom too. She used a mid century modern Orla Kiely wallpaper for the bathroom.
I love this DIY splashback (backsplash), I think it looks awesome in Wendy’s kitchen. There are so many fantastic wallpaper designs out there, so you are bound to find something that would look amazing in your kitchen. I know that when I eventually get a new kitchen, I will have a DIY wallpaper splashback. I also love the fact that it’s easy to change, when you fancy something different.
If you follow my blog you will know that I use a lot of wallpaper in my DIY’s and upcycles, click on the list below to see them.
Wallpapered bin upcycle
Wallpapered Marimekko Stairs
Upcycled Lampshade with wallpaper