Every time I visit big department stores, I can’t resist going into the home furnishing departments and checking out the latest wallpapers. Often I will pick up a few samples. After I’ve finished with the free samples I don’t throw them away as I love crafting with wallpaper.
Wallpaper is stiffer but more flexible than other papers which sounds kind of contradictory. It’s bendy paper that can often be wiped clean, which makes it versatile for many crafts.
All these wonderful wallpapering projects use rolls of wallpaper or large pieces. But there is still a lot of wallpaper craft projects you can make with the samples of wallpapers gathered whilst deciding on what paper to use for a bigger project.
Firstly, I will show you one of my latest crafting with wallpaper ideas, making upcycled tin can pen pots. Then at the end of the post, there is a list of more fabulous wallpaper crafting ideas.
Wallpaper Craft: How To Make A Marimekko DIY Desk Caddy
Whilst trying to decide on a wallpaper for the new built-in wardrobes in my bedroom I ended up with some Marimekko wallpaper samples. These samples I got for free from Wallpapersdirect and were A4 sample sized.
They were from a Marimekko design called Pieni Tiara. I had a sample from each of the three different colourways it came in. I’ve crafted with Marimekko paper napkins many times before but this time I decided to use these wallpaper samples, rather than waste them.
What You Need To Make DIY Desk Caddy
- Wallpaper samples or remnants – 3 sheets about A4 size. Most home stores provide wallpaper samples for free.
- 3 tin cans – I used 400ml sized food cans.
- Wallpaper paste or white glue
- Spray paints
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Two old pieces of wood for the tray
- Drill with round woodcutter saw attachment the size of the tin cans.
How To Make An Upcycled Marimekko Desk Caddy
1.. First, spray paint the inside to tin cans to match the wallpaper you are crafting with. I spray painted the inside of three cans white, green and pink. Also, make sure that the thin top lip of the tin can is painted too, as this will is likey show when wallpapered.
Pen pots and utility caddies look much better if they have been painted on the inside as well as decorated on the outside.
3. Next, measure the circumference and height of the tin cans.
4. Then, using these measurements cut the wallpaper sample papers to fit the tin cans. Use a rotary cutter, ruler and mat to achieve a neat accurate cut.
5. Finally, to finish the Marimekko pen pots glue the wallpaper to the outside of each tin can. I used wallpaper paste for this, as I already had some made up. But white craft glue will work just as well.
6. Finally, to turn these DIY pen pots into a desk caddy, I made a carry tray for them. I cut round saw holes into a scrap piece of wood to make a holder. Full details of how I did this are on my painted glass bud vase post.
I use these Marimekko pen pots on my desk to keep my pens organized. They would look just as good in the kitchen used as utensil holders. If you love the designs of Marimekko as much as I do then you should check out my other Marimekko and Nordic inspired craft.
Crafting With Wallpaper Ideas
The following is a collection of more fun crafting with wallpaper ideas for wallpaper samples. I fancy making some Marimekko clipboards to match the Marimekko desk caddy.
For more upcycled craft ideas visit the DIYideacenter.