Upcycle Your Jeans Into A Really Useful Denim Pocket Pillow For Your iPhone
What is it about teenagers that they seem to spend over half their lives in bed. When I was a teenager, I spent a lot of my time listen to music in my room. Now that my boys are teenagers they like to do the same, but this time the music is on their phones and they listen through headphones. They are always losing their phone down the side of the bed or under the covers. Therefore I designed and made my youngest son Fergus a cool denim pocket pillow for his phone.
This is no ordinary pillow, it has a killer feature; I have incorporated the pocket from an old pair of jeans so he has somewhere to put his phone whilst lying on the bed listening to music.
Ironically my sons like to listen to a lot of the same music as I did, apparently, it’s quite cool to listen to 80’s music!
What you need to make your pocket pillow
This denim pocket cushion was made for an inner pillow 40 X 70 cm you may want to adjust the measurements to fit your pillow.
- A leg of an old pair of jeans (straight or loose fit jeans are best)
- On old sweater; this is optional but as I had one that went well with my fabric I decided to use it. Also, the wool sweater gave the pillow a nice cozy soft feel. However, you can just make your pocket pillow with fabric and denim.
- Scrap fabric if using with the sweater then it needs to be a least 25cm by 82cm. If just fabric and denim then you’ll need twice the amount.
- A zip between 30cm-35cm.
- Scissors, pins, needle, thread and sewing machine.
How to make your denim pocket pillow
- Prepare your denim pocket by cutting the off left leg of the jeans all the way to the top of the waistband and as close to the crotch as possible. You will want to end up with a piece of denim approximately 50cm by 40cm or as close you can get to this making sure you have both the front and back pockets. Fold in half and pin right sides together before sewing along the waistband.
- If using a sweater you will need to felt this in the washing machine first. Once felted cut and your sweater so that you end up with a piece 25cm by 80 cm.
- Next your 3 fabric pieces (denim, sweater and fabric) are ready to sew together. Pin the sweater piece to the your patterned fabric right sides together and sew along the long edge. Next, pin this large piece to the edge of your denim fabric again sew right sides together
- You should now have something that looks like your pillow but with an open bottom edge and side.
- Sew along the bottom edge of the pillow cover and then turn right side out.
- Finally you will need to sew in the zip into the open fabric. There are a lots of youtube videos that are much better at explaining how to sew in a zipper than I can ever do. For example MADE Everyday has a great video tutorial.
The finished iPhone pocket pillow
Of course it goes without saying this iPhone pillow is android compatible, infact it works with all types of mobile phones.
One of the great thing about this pillow is that as you have both the front and back pocket of the jeans you can use it on the the left or the right depending on your preference. My son loves his new pillow, it stops him losing his phone in the covers or accidently knocking it out of bed. The colours go great with his room. We gave it a cactus themed makeover last summer so the cactus fabric fits in great with this and the denim goes well with the denim pocket wall organiser I made him.
I love to upcycle and repurpose my families old jeans. You may want to check out some of my other fantastic denim upcycles.
Denim Pocket Organiser
Nifty Denim Ottoman with Storage
DIY Storage Boxes Using Denim