I’m always on the lookout for handy extra storage for my bathrooms. What I really needed was a DIY bathroom cabinet that had lots of little shelves. They are handy for storing medicines and toiletries.
For the loft bathroom, I made a cute upcycled drawer storage shelf. But I needed a bathroom cabinet for the family bathroom.
A friend of mine passed on a gift wine box (unfortunately empty!) for me to add to my upcycling stash. In the past, I have transformed a wine crate into a nightstand for my son.
When I opened up this wine box and saw the little compartments inside. I then knew I could turn it into the handy bathroom cabinet I needed.
The Upcycled Bathroom Storage
I love vintage images, especially from old encyclopedias and picture dictionaries. To give this DIY bathroom cabinet a medicine cabinet theme, I decoupaged a vintage anatomy poster on the inside of the door. You can download and print the image for free (see below).
Also, I wanted to give the plain wooden box some texture and color. I covered the outside with jumbo wooden lollipop sticks to create an interesting pattern. I painted both the inside and outside in colorful chalk paint.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need For A DIY Bathroom Cabinet
- Old wine gift box – I was gifted mine. I know Costco sells wine in wooden wine boxes like this one. You can always treat yourself to some nice wine and a box at the same time.
- Cupboard handle – I bought mine from Anthropologie in the sale a while ago. Any cupboard handles you like will do.
- Chalk paint – Annie Sloan Napoleonic blue & Barcelona Orange. Tester pots of paint are all that is needed.
- Vintage anatomical print – Download it here.
- Jumbo wooden craft sticks
- Gorilla wood glue
- Mod podge and acrylic spray varnish
How To Make An Upcycled Bathroom Cabinet
1.The first thing I did was to add the wooden craft stick pattern to the front of the wine box. I carefully arranged the jumbo sticks on the front of the box in the design I wanted.
Play around with different designs. Once you are happy with one mark the craft sticks were they need to be cut.
2. Next using a saw blade on a rotary tool cut the wooden craft sticks to marked length.
3. Using wood glue, stick the craft sticks to the front of the wine box. This will give the DIY bathroom cabinet an interesting pattern on the front.
4. Once the glue has dried, paint the outside of the wine box blue. I used a brush to apply the paint to the uneven surface. I then went over this paint with a small roller to remove brush marks.
Don’t forget to remove any handles and latches from the wine box before painting.
Also, if using chalk paint I recommend adding a coat of wood wax to protect the finish.
5. Next, I painted the inside of the cupboard in Barcelona orange. I didn’t need to paint all the inside lid as I was going to decoupage it.
6. Next, I printed the vintage anatomical image. I printed the image onto A3 paper on my home inkjet printer. In the advanced printer menu on the computer, I selected the best quality image option.
7. Next, using decoupage glue I stuck the printed image to the inside of the DIY bathroom cabinet. If you want to protect the decoupage spray with acrylic varnish.
8. Finally, to finish off the cabinet I added the handle to the front.
What I love about this DIY bathroom cabinet is the pop of color you get when the cabinet is open. I also love the vintage anatomical illustration on the inside of the door.
This is not the first time I have used vintage scientific illustrations in my furniture upcycles. I used some fabulous insect posters with my chalk paint unique cupboard upcycle.
With their handy little shelves, I think that this DIY bathroom cabinet would also make a great craft cupboard. I’m on the lookout for another one of these wine boxes to upcycle and a suitable vintage image for a craft cupboard.
For more wine crate upcycles visit DIYideacenter.