After Christmas, my favourite holiday to craft for is Valentine’s. That’s probably has something to do with it also being my birthday. This year I have made a cute painted rustic heart decoration with small wood slices.
Wood slices are really fun to craft with and come in a variety of sizes. In the past, I’ve made some fun Christmas ornaments with them. One of a Christmas pudding and the other a funky Frida Kahlo ornament.
This rustic heart is actually made up of tiny wood slices. The wood slices were a purchase mistake by a friend of mine. She had ordered them online and hadn’t checked the size and was expecting much larger wood slices than she got.
Instead of throwing them away, my friend passed them on to me. She knew I would find something wonderful to make with them. That’s when I got the idea of making a Valentine’s rustic heart decoration with them.
Instead of leaving the wood slices natural, I thought it would be lovely to paint them in the colours associated with Valentine’s day. That is reds and pinks.
The painted wood slices look a bit like geode slices and match the felt rug I made out of recycled sweaters.
The rustic heart fits so much in with my decor, I will keep it up all year on my gallery wall. Hearts aren’t just for Valentine’s day!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need To Make A Wood Slice Heart
- Small wood slices – I used 12 mini wood slices between 2-3cm in diameter. You can easily buy these very cheaply online or in your local craft shops. As these wood slices are small it would be easy to cut your own from a branch.
- Old picture frame for upcycling – You can find these very easily in your local charity shops. The one I used was 30cm by 40cm.
- Acrylic paint in assorted pinks, reds & white (for mixing)
- Fine paintbrushes
- Gorilla Mounting Tape Squares
- Red Spray Paint
- White card or mounting board
How To Make A Valentine’s Rustic Heart Decoration1. Firstly, prepare the frame for the mounting of the wood slice heart. Remove the old picture and glass, then spray paint the frame red.
2. Next, paint the wood slices. I painted them in a series of striped rings, in various hues of pinks and reds. I used the natural ring lines on the wood slices as a guide.
3. Next, cut the white mounting card to fit the picture frame.
4. Arrange the painted wood slices on the mounting card into a rustic heart shape. Once you are happy with the design stick each wood slice down using the Gorilla mounting tape squares.
First, cut each tape square in half and stick one to the back of every wood slice. Then, carefully peel the remaining plastic off the tape and stick the wood slice to the white card. Making sure to keep the rustic heart shape.
6. To finish off this rustic Valentine’s decoration simply place the mounted heart in the upcycled picture frame.
This isn’t the first rustic heart I have made for Valentine’s day, last year I made a pine cone flower heart.
I’ve even used some rustic pallet wood for the backing of a neon Valentine’s heart sign.
I know I’ve said that this rustic heart was Valentine’s day it will, however, be added to my gallery wall where it will stay up all year round.
For more wood slice crafts visit favecrafts.