I love to upcycle my old jeans into fun crafts for my home. But occasionally I also love to repurpose them into new things to wear. Like with this DIY denim bracelet and the denim bow ties I made a couple of weeks ago.
This is a very easy denim upcycle, that requires only a tiny amount of hand sewing. If you prefer no-sew jeans projects, the DIY jeans bracelet can be made with glue instead.
I got the idea for this cool denim bracelet when making denim coasters from old jeans seams. The coasters were made by weaving seams. I liked the pattern the seams made. I thought it would look good as a bracelet.
This is a very affordable craft, as it is made from upcycled fabric. The bracelets can be made to any size. The way the bracelet is fastened, with a lobster clasp and chain means it can be adjusted to fit wrists of different sizes.
The bracelets would make a lovely gift and could easily be made to sell.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How To Make A Denim Bracelet
What You Need
- Seams from old jeans – I used the long seams on the inside leg of a pair of jeans. These are the double stiched seams. Cut them out of the jeans as close to the stitching as possible.
- Jewelry fastning set – comprising of ribbon ends 25mm, lobster claw clasp, o-rings and short chain.
- Cloth tape-measure
- Small hammer and scissors
- Needle and thread or super glue
Cutting Out The Seam
Step1: Cut out the double-stitched seam from a pair of jeans. Often this seam runs up the inside leg of the jeans. A double-stitched seam also runs along the back seat of jeans, between the pockets and waistband.
To make the DIY denim bracelet, you will need three seam lengths of about 30cm each. These can all be from the same pair of jeans. But if you use seams from different pairs of jeans, I think this looks better. It’s nice to use denim seams that are different shades of indigo.
Measuring the wrist
Step 2: Before starting the bracelet, measure the width of your wrist. Then take a couple of cm off this measurement. This will be the length of braided denim needed for the bracelet. My wrist measured 18cm in width, so I needed 16cm length of braided denim.
Braiding the denim
Step 3: Take the three lengths of denim seams and secure them together at one end. I just used a few simple hand stitches to this, but they could also be glued.
Step 4: Braid/plait the denim seams like you would hair or bread. Take the seam on the left and place it over the middle seam. Then take the seam on the right and place that over the new middle seam.
Repeat this process until the denim is braided to the length you need for the DIY denim bracelet. Keep the tension even as you braid.
Step 5: Carry on braiding the three denim seams until you reach the length needed. Then cut away any excess seams and secure the end with simple stitches.
Adding A Bracelet Clasp
Step 6: Next, add the jewelry fixings to the end of the braided denim bracelet. First, add a ribbon grip to both ends of the bracelet. Use a hammer to secure the ribbon grip in place.
Step 7: To finish off add a lobster clasp to one end of the DIY jeans bracelet and a short chain to the other end.
The beauty of this fun jeans bracelet is that it can be adjusted to fit wrists of different widths. The lobster clasp can be fixed to the chain at different points to provide different widths.
If you liked this upcycled denim bracelet then you should check out some of my other upcycled jewelry crafts.
- Double stitched seams from old seams
- Ribbon grip ends
- Lobster clasp and chain
- Needle thread
- Small hammer
- Tape measure and scissors
- First, cut the double-stitched seams out of a pair of old jeans. These normally run up the inside leg of the jeans. And along the back seat of jeans between the pockets and waistband.
- Then cut the seams into three lengths approximately 30 cm in length.
- Next, measure the width of your wrist with a tape measure and take 2cm off this measurement. My wrist was 18cm wide but minus the 2cm this was 16cm. This is the length the braided seams need to be for the DIY denim bracelet.
- Hold the three ends of the length of the seams together with a simple stitch.
- Next, plait the three seams together until they reached the measured bracelet length. Plait by taking the left outside seam and passing it over the middle seam. Then take the right outside seam and pass that over the new middle seam. Carry on repeating this process until you get the plait of the required length.
- Cut away any excess seams, then stitch the end of the seams in place.
- Hammer ribbon grips into both ends of the plaited denim.
- Finish off by adding a chain and lobster clasp to the ribbon grips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Visit Favecrafts for more upcycled crafting DIYs.