An easy tutorial on how to make a fabric sunflower out of scraps of old jeans to wear as a denim corsage. Which can be either pinned to the chest or worn on the wrist.
All these fabric flower crafts were designed as decorative accessories for the home. Whereas, this denim fabric sunflower is more of a fashion item. Created to be worn as a corsage or as an embellishment.
This is a very easy denim upcycle. And a great way to repurpose fabric scraps. I used just a few hand stitches to sew the fabric sunflower together. But with clever usage of glue, it could easily become a no-sew jeans project.
The denim corsage is a very affordable craft, that can be made in under an hour. The sunflowers would make a lovely handcrafted gift, which could even be sold at a craft fair.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
(There is a printable how-to card for this craft at the end of the post.)
What You Need To Make A Denim Fabric Sunflower Corsage
- Small scrap piece of denim from an old pair of jeans
- Small strip of coloured felt about 30cm (12″) long and 1.5cm (1/2″) wide
- Fabric Mod Podge
- Glue brush
- Elastic for a wrist denim corsage or a large safety pin for a chest corsage
- Free fabric sunflower template (download here).
How To Make The Denim Sunflower
Step1: Paste the piece of denim with the Mod Podge. Leave it to dry thoroughly. The glue will stiffen the denim fabric and make it easy to cut. Also, the fabric Mod Podge will prevent the denim from fraying.
Step 2: Next, cut out the three different sunflower petal shapes from the pattern. Then place them on top of the wrong side of the denim fabric. With a fine marker drawer around each sunflower shape.
Step 3: Next, using scissors, cut out each of the sunflower petal shapes. The fabric should be stiffer than usual because of the Mod Podge. Also, it won’t fray when cut.
Step 4: Next, construct the sunflower by placing the cut denim petals on top of each other. Make sure that the smallest petals are on the top and the largest on the bottom. Also, offset the sunflower petal layers, to make the sunflower look as full as possible.
I stitched the three pairs of layers together using a simple running stitch in the centre. The layers of petals on the fabric sunflower denim corsage could be glued together in the center instead.
Making the Center of The Denim Corsage
Step 5: I used a long piece of coloured felt to make the center of the fabric sunflower. I used a strip about 30cm long and 1.5cm wide.
Step 6: First fold the strip of felt in half along the length. You may need some pins to keep it in place. Then carefully snip cuts into the fold, don’t go right to the edge. Make a snip at intervals about 3-4mm apart. (I used this method before with my felt succulent garden). Then roll the cut strip of felt up, secure it with either a stitch or some glue.
Step 7: Next, attach the felt center to the denim corsage, either with stitches or glue.
Step 8: Finally, finish off the denim corsage by either attaching a safety pin or elastic to the back. Use a safety pin for pinning to the chest or elastic to wear on the chest.
I think these fabric sunflowers would look great on a denim wreath or as a decorative embellishment for pillows and bags. Or perhaps you could make several of them to make a lovely flower wall decoration. You might also like this other scrap fabric felt flower broach idea.
And if you love sunflowers as much as I do then you should like these free vintage botanical sunflower drawings.
- A small piece of denim from old jeans
- A long thin piece of colored felt (30cm x 1.5cm)
- Fabric Mod Podge
- Sunflower petal pattern free do download on blog.
- Needle and thread (or glue)
- Paste the denim fabric in Mod Podge and leave it to dry (this will stop the denim from fraying when cut).
- Print out the fabric sunflower petal patterns in all three sizes.
- Next, place the sunflower pattern onto the wrong side of the denim and draw around them.
- Then carefully cut out all three of the sunflower petal patterns.
- Next, place the sunflower petals on top of each other. The smallest on the top and the largest on the bottom. Make sure they are offset too. Then either stitch or glue them together in the center.
- Next, make the center of the fabric sunflower with the felt strip. Fold the felt in half longwise and snip into the fold at 5mm intervals. Do not snip to the end.
- Roll the snipped felt up and then fix it to the center of the sunflower, with either stitches or glue.
- Finally, decide whether the fabric sunflower will be worn on the wrist or chest. Attach either elastic or a safety pin to the back of the flower.