I love working with maps and personalised crafts, so for valentines day, I have made some lovely map hearts treat bags using old maps. This is a really easy craft where you can make something quite special for your loved one by upcycling maps that have meaning for you. For example, you could use a map of where you first met, or your favourite city or even a piste map of your favourite ski run.
Valentine’s day isn’t huge in our house, except for the fact that it happens to be my birthday! We don’t do the romantic meal thing as I’m more into celebrating my birthday with friends. However, I do like to give my husband a little sweet treat so he doesn’t feel left out on the day. These map heart treat bags are great fun not only does he get a little sweet treat but a personal reminder of a special place.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What you need to make map heart treat bags
- Old maps – As already mentioned I love using maps in my crafts (map chairs), I tend to keep maps from holidays, city breaks etc so luckily have a ready supply. If you don’t happen to have any old maps you can always download some, Remodleholic has some vintage ones. You could just put your favourite places in google maps and print them off. If you don’t want to cut up your old maps you can just photocopy them.
- Heart template – I used a cookie cutter for this as it’s easy to line up exactly where you want on your map.
- Pencil, scissors & sewing machine.
- Small luggage labels/tags
- Sweet treats
How to make map heart treat bags
- Once you have chosen your map, using your template draw around it and cut out 2 hearts per treat bag.
- Pin the hearts wrong sides together. Stitch around the edge using a sewing machine leaving a small gap to insert the treats.
- Insert the treats and the string of the “pull me” label
- Sew your hearts shut.
Yes it’s that easy ! If you want bigger treats then you can make bigger heart bags. I had never sewn paper on the sewing machine before, but it was really easy and fun. I’m definitely going to be doing more of that in the future. If you don’t have a sewing machine, I don’t know how easy these would be to sew by hand but you could give it a go !
I just hope my husband, gets the significance of the maps I’ve chosen for the treat bags. Like Nottingham, the only time my husband and I have been to Nottingham was for a party at which we first met. Bergen and the fjords is where we fantasise about living when things get a bit stressful, it’s our happy place.
What maps would you choose?
You might want to check out these pinecone flower heart decorations too!