For me, crafting is one of the best parts of the run-up to Christmas. Most of the Christmas ornaments on my tree are handmade; I like to add new ones every year. I’ve already made map Christmas ornaments this year. These DIY mini Christmas wreaths are my latest additions.
I walk through the park at the bottom of my street every morning on the way to the gym. I walk past a lovely oak tree, and in the Autumn, I like to pick up acorn caps to craft with.
There are never any acorns as the squirrels get to them first. There are a lot of squirrels in the park!
In the past, I have used acorn caps to make a large colourful wreath from my front door. This time I thought I would make mini Christmas wreaths with acorn caps to hang with my decorations indoors.
As I only had the acorn caps, I used felt to replace the missing acorns and to add a bit of colour to the mini Christmas wreaths.
This quick and simple craft will add a nice splash of colour to your festive tree decorations. It’s one of many Christmas nature crafts on this list.
We’re a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need
- Acorn caps – Walk in your local park and find an oak tree. Looking at the ground around the tree, you should find many acorn caps. I used about nine acorn caps for each DIY mini wreath. You can also buy them on eBay!
- Coloured felt balls – the size depends on the size of the acorn caps from your local acorn tree. My acorn caps were quite small, so I used felt balls 15mm in size.
- Gorilla Super Glue with a brush applicator
- Jam jar lid approximately 8cm in diameter. This will be the size of the mini Christmas wreaths.
- Coloured velvet ribbon to match felt acorn wreaths.
How to Make The Mini Christmas Wreaths
This is a simple craft. It only takes about 10 minutes to make each mini felt acorn Christmas wreath.
Step 1: First, make the felt acorns. Using the brush applicator that comes with the super glue. Brush the inside of the acorn cap with the super glue. Then gently press a coloured felt ball into the cap. Hold for a few seconds until the superglue sets.
Step 2: Make felt acorns until you have enough for the mini wreaths (approximately 9). I like to make felt acorns in shades of the same colour for each mini Christmas wreath ornament.
Step 3: Using the jamjar lid as a mould glue the acorn’s top to tail into a ring. I used the same Gorilla superglue with the brush applicator for this stage.
Step 4: Once the glue is dried, add the velvet ribbon. I used a little glue to attach the ribbon to the back of the mini Christmas wreaths. I also made a tiny velvet ribbon bow for each wreath, which I glued to the front.
Making these mini Christmas wreaths was so much fun I made three of them. I can’t wait to hang them on my tree or the mantle; I haven’t decided where yet.
Even though I spend most of November Christmas crafting, I don’t put my Christmas decorations out until December. They normally go up the first weekend in December.
I put on some Christmas music, get out the sloe gin and spend the day leisurely arranging my Christmas decorations. I love getting all the old handmade Christmas ornaments out of the box from Christmas’s past.
- Acorn Caps
- Coloured Felt Balls
- Gorilla Super Glue with Brush Applicator
- Jam Jar Lid
- Velvet ribbon
- Brush the inside of the acorn cap with superglue
- Stick a coloured felt ball into the cap and hold in place until it dries
- Glue the acorns together in a ring using the lid as a mold
- Add velvet ribbon bow and hang from the ribbon
There is a tutorial for velvet acorns in this list of velvet crafts you could use instead for these DIY mini wreaths.
Not only do I make felted acorns, but I have also painted acorn nuts to make a lovely acorn Christmas garland.
If you liked these handmade mini Christmas wreath ornaments, you should check out these other handmade ornaments.
- Frida Kahlo Ornament
- Glamorous Oyster Shell Ornament
- Best Acorn Wreath and Garlands
- Felt Monogram Tags
For more Christmas crafts, visit favecrafts.com