DIY Tub Storage Using Old Yogurt Containers
I’m so excited that I now have my own designer painted shed for storing my craft supplies in. I made some upcycled hanging bucket storage from old yogurt pots to match the paint job on the outside.
Most mornings my breakfast consists of Greek yogurt, berries and nuts. Subsequently, I get through a lot of Greek yogurt, so I buy it in these large containers that actually look like small buckets.
Even though they are recyclable these containers seem such a waste. So I try and reuse them whenever possible, that’s when I got the idea for using them for hanging DIY tub storage.
The only thing is that even though these old yogurt tubs are perfect for making hanging bucket storage they aren’t very attractive.
As I love the Marimekko design I printed on my shed I decoupaged the Greek yogurt tubs to match the shed.
I now have Marimekko designer hanging bucket storage inside my shed and it looks fab!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need To Make Marimekko Hanging Bucket Storage
- 3 Large food plastic buckets. Mine was Greek yogurt containers from Aldi. However, I’ve seen other foods like popcorn sold in similar types of containers.
- Marimekko paper napkins, or paper napkins of your own choice.
- White paint
- Mod podge or other decoupage glue
- Hooks for hanging bucket storage. Coat hooks with a long arm are best.
- Scrap piece of wood, I used a bit of an old pine floorboard.
- Black paint
Decoupaging The Upcycled Hanging Storage Buckets1. The first thing to do is to paint the buckets white. This is to stop the print showing through the decoupage. I actually painted 2 coats with some paint I had left over from painting the shed.
Don’t worry too much about what kind of paint you will be using as it will be covered over.
When decoupaging with paper napkins, the paper is very thin. This means that design on the storage tubs can show through. That is why it is best to paint over the tubs before decoupage.
2. Next, take one paper napkin out of the packet and cut it into strips about 4-5 cm wide.
With round tapered objects, it is much easier to decoupage them in strips. I successfully used this method before when making the map mason jar banks.
3. Most paper napkins are 3ply. For decoupage, you only use the top printed layer of the napkin.
Carefully, remove the top printed ply of the printed napkins. Discard the other 2 napkin layers.
4. Next, using a brush apply Mod Podge to the side of the hanging storage bucket. Then carefully stick down the strip of the paper napkin.
Use a clean brush to gently brush out any air bubbles.
5. Carry on adding strips of paper napkins until the whole storage bucket is covered.
Make sure you line up the pattern with every new strip of paper napkin you stick down.
5. Once the paper napkins have dried. Cutaway any bits of napkin overlapping the edges.
Then, cover the outside of the DIY storage tubs with another layer of Mod Podge. When this dries it will act as a protective varnish.
Finishing Off The Hanging Storage
6. Measure and cut the hanging backboard, so that it fits the space it is designed for. Whether that is your shed or craft room.
Then paint the board to match the colour of the paper napkins. With the Marimekko napkins I used, black was the dominant colour. So I painted my backboard black. (Also, I just happened to have some leftover black paint).
7. Finally, screw in the coat hooks to the board. Make sure they are spaced out wide enough for the hanging storage buckets to sit side by side comfortably.
Now that all that is left to do is to hang the DIY storage tubs whether it be in a craft room or in my case a craft shed.
These buckets are really handy for storing the little things. I have one bucket full of small pieces of driftwood, another pinecones and the third paintbrushes.
I need to make more hanging storage buckets for all the other bits and pieces I collect for my upcycling projects. Such as shells and broken pieces of ceramics, old screws and hooks, etc. The collection is endless, I’m a bit of a magpie.
- Garden wood paint in black, white and three shades of green
- Poppy template - download from the site
- Paint brushes
- Draw or print out the poppy designs and cut them out
- Place the poppy templates on the shed and draw around them to outline the pattern
- Paint the poppies white
- Paint the stems lime green
- Using the poppy templates again, draw the center of each poppy.
- Paint the center of the poppies 2 shades of green
- Finish off by painting the black background
If you liked these hanging storage buckets then you might want to check out some of my other upcycled DIY craft storage organization ideas.
- Denim DIY Storage Box
- Craft Caddy With Copper and Denim
- Washi Tape Holder
- Shoe Box Craft Storage
- Brilliant Upcycled Denim Storage Ideas
- What Is Upcycling
For more storage ideas visit here.