Boho Jeans Pillows With Upcycled Sari Trim and Pom Poms
A tutorial on how to make some on trend Boho style jeans pillows.
The trouble with staying in gorgeous accommodation whilst on holiday, my home looks knackered on returning. It seems too cluttered, tired looking and a lot of it in desperate need of redecoration.
The solution is to either go on camping holidays so that I appreciate my home comforts more or to tackle the house. As I hate camping it will have to be the house.
So I made a pathetic start by chucking out a load of very old and worn throw pillows. And then I used up some of my craft stashes and made some fresh replacement boho style jeans pillows.
I’m a bit of a craft hoarder. As well as piles of fabric and old jeans I have a large stash of yarn. Every time, I catch a glance of my yarn pile in the craft room I feel that it is mocking me for being a terrible knitter and average crocheter. I’m now just resorted to using my yarn to make pom poms.
As well as recycling jeans and using more yarn to make pom poms, I used some vintage sari trim. I found the trim in my craft stash, I had totally forgotten about it. The sari trim was just what I needed to give the jeans pillows that boho feel.
Vintage sari trims are gorgeous strips of brightly coloured and embroidered fabric that were used to adorn lovely Indian saris. I know you may be thinking where on earth do I get sari trim. As with most things, it’s actually really easy to find on eBay and Amazon.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
What you need to make upcycled boho jeans pillows
- Old denim jeans
- Vintage Sari trims – As I’ve already mentioned this readily available to buy on eBay and Amazon. You will need a piece of trim about 90cm length for each jeans pillow.
- Needle, thread and 30cm (12″) zip
- Pillow insert – I used a 65cm X 45cm (16″ x 26″) Ikea fjadrar insert
How to Make Boho Jeans Pillows
2. For the front of the pillow, pin 2 pieces of denim and 1 piece of sari trim right sides together and then sew. Repeat for the back of the pillow.
3. Next, lay both the pillow sides (front and back) flat front sides up (see picture below). Then pin a zip between them and then sew in the zip to join them together. If you are not sure about how to sew a zip into a pillow there is a video tutorial here.
4. Next, pin the rest of the pillow both sides together leaving the newly attached zipper open.
4. Then, using a sewing machine, sew the pillow sides together. Then turn the cushion/pillow cover right sides out and add the pillow insert. I used IKEA 65 cm by 45 cm inserts for these Boho Jeans Pillows.
5. Finish off by making multi colour giant pom poms with your pom pom maker and hand sew one on to each corner of the pillow. To get the mixed coloured effect just wind different coloured yarn in bands around the pom pom maker.
I’m really pleased with how these pillows/cushions turned out. I just love the fact that they are made from recycled jeans but are still so colourful. The only thing is I can’t quite decide where to have them in my home. I think I will need to make some more.
I’m also really pleased that I found a use for the gorgeous vintage sari trim I bought on a whim a couple of years ago.
- Old jeans
- Sari Trim
- Sewing Machine
- Pom Pom Maker
- Cut the denim to make a panel 65 cm by 45 cm made up of 2 pieces of denim and one of Sari trim. Make 2 of these panels for each pillow.
- Next, lay both panels face up and join together at one end with a zip sewn in.
- Then, pin the panels right sides together with the zip open
- Next, sew up the sides of the pillow, then turn right sides out.
- Finally, make four multi-colored pom poms and sew one into each corner of the pillow
For more upcycled jeans pillows check out these posts.
- iPhone Denim Pocket Pillow
- Repurposed Denim Fish Pillow
- World Map Denim Floor Cushion
- All The Best Denim Pillow And Cushion Tutorials
For more Boho DIY’s and crafts check out these tutorials.